Saturday, September 8, 2012

Why doesn't my ebook have the "Go to" Table of Contents option through kindle? A guide to correct this.

Someone emailed me with this question, so I thought I'd share it with those who may be wondering the same thing.

You need to place a "Toc" bookmark inorder for there to be a "Go to" Table of Contents option for your readers.

It's not as difficult as it sounds. Just go to the table of contents page you designed.

I'll use mine from my novel, The Road to Nowehere.


THE ROAD TO NOWHERE

TITLE PAGE

COPYRIGHT

CHAPTER 1- LOST

CHAPTER 2- QUICK DRIVE

CHAPTER 3- RESTLESS

CHAPTER 4- BURNING BRIGHT

CHAPTER 5- BEST LAID PLANS

CHAPTER 6- CAR SICK

CHAPTER 7- NIGHT TERRORS

CHAPTER 8- CHOICES

CHAPTER 9- AT A LOSS

CHAPTER 10- THE DETOUR

CHAPTER 11- SILENT

CHAPTER 12- CUTTING DEEP

CHAPTER 13- THE COLD

EPILOGUE

BIOGRAPHY
 Do you see the “Tin my title The Road to Nowhere?
Just place a bookmark on your title or where your table of contents begins.
To place a bookmark, go to the INSERT TAB- located between the HOME and PAGE LAYOUT tab on the top of your word application.
See it?
You should see a paste option on the home tab (the image with the clipboard)-
When you click on the insert tab, your options will be ;
(LET’S WORK FROM LEFT TO RIGHT)
COVER PAGE
BLANK PAGE
PAGE BREAK
TABLE
PICTURE
CLIP ART
SHAPES
SMART ART
CHART
SCREEN SHOT
 HYPERLINK
BOOKMARK
Cross reference would be below it.
Click on bookmark.
You’ll see an empty window requiring you to place a bookmark name.
Type;
   toc
It’s as simple as that.
Hit okay and you’re done, just don’t forget to add bookmarks to each new chapter, then add the hyperlinks to your toc. That’ll make it a clickable toc.
When I’d first published, I ran into all these problems and needed to know how things worked.

 Note:
Make sure you use Amazon's previewer and click on the "Go To" option. A list will appear. Menu should appear as well as begining. If you see the Table of Contents and it's clickable on the "Go To" tab and not highlighted in light gray, you've done it right. It will kick you to your Table of Contents page.

I made the mistake of not making sure I'd included mine. I thought I had, but it was done on another novel. It's now updated, but well over a thousand copies don't have the "Go to Table of Contents" option.

Not all indies include the Go To TOC, but it's helps the reader to have one.